Monday, January 7, 2013

A Partridge in a Pear Tree Pie


When I saw the Partridge in a Pear Tree Pie over at Taste of Home, I knew I had to try making it for our Twelve Days of Christmas Dinner Party on Twelfth Night!    I didn't have a partridge cookie cutter so I just hand cut a design with a butter knife.  I also added some little leaves and cross shapes as well.  It was pretty simple and turned out so cute and delicious.

Partridge Pear Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves, drained  (I used a larger jar of pears)
  • 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple (I used about 1/2 of a large can)
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pastry of double-crust pie (9 inches)
  • Additional sugar, optional


Directions:

Set aside five pear halves; chop any remaining pears. In a large saucepan, combine the chopped pears, cranberries, pineapple and sugar.


Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until some cranberries have popped. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring several times. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and cinnamon. Stir in cooled cranberry mixture.


Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim and flute edges. Spoon cranberry mixture into pastry shell; arrange pear halves on top.


Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil for last 15 minutes of baking if necessary). Cool on wire rack.


Roll remaining pastry. Using cookie cutters (or a knife), cut out small leaves, little crosses (optional), and a partridge. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Place partridge in center of pie with leaves near each pear, and crosses along the edge.



Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pie, Jessica! What a festive celebration you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! Did you notice my cross placement... Conveniently over the places the pie filling bubbled over the edges! lol

      Delete
    2. Really good pies rarely look perfect! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, love the way you fluted your pie edges! Nice touches with the cross and cutouts with remaining pastry, too. As usual, beautiful job with your food of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wanted to share this in case it helps someone...I bought the groceries for this after christmas and could find no cranberries, fresh or frozen. So I used one bag of dried cranberries. I think it was six ounces? I cooked as the recipesays, except I only used 1 cup of sugar because I figured the dried berries were sweeter. It came out great! I can't compare it to the original version, but it worked out in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete